Over the past decade, the popularity of using moving and storage containers has grown significantly. Whether you’re just moving across town or across the country, renting a moving or storage container is one of the most popular ways to move. One of the most well-known moving container companies is PODS. While this may be a popular way of moving, you want to understand how it works. Before you rent a PODS moving container, here are some important things to consider that will help you decide if it’s right for you.
How Does PODS Work?
PODS specializes in steel-framed moving and storage containers that help simplify the moving process. Here’s how they work:
- Know when and where you are moving and how long you’ll need a container
- Schedule delivery with your location, container size, and dates
- Receive the container at your location and begin loading
- Arrange a PODS pick-up and have your container delivered to your new location or a secure PODS Storage Center
- Have your PODS unit delivered to your new location and unload
- PODS picks up your container once you’re moved into your new home
It’s important to note some of the key characteristics that set PODS apart from other moving options. Unlike full-service companies, with PODS, you’re responsible for loading and unloading the container. However, PODS will connect you with local packing and loading pros if you want help. And one of the best benefits, you don’t have to drive an unwieldy truck since the container is picked up and dropped off for you. What’s more is that if your move-out and move-in dates don’t align, PODS can store your container for you, taking away the worry of any scheduling gaps in your move.
Where Can I Use PODS?
Whether you live in the U.S. or abroad, PODS may be the moving solution for you. PODS operates in most U.S. states, excluding Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming. You can also find PODS in Canada, the UK, and Australia. There may be some variation in availability and pricing based on location, so be sure to get a free quote using both your moving-from and moving-to ZIP codes.
Services PODS Offers
PODS offers a few different services, including moving, specialized moving for big cities, driveway storage, and storage in a facility.
To help you get your stuff from point A to point B, PODS offers steel-framed containers of different sizes. These containers are dropped off at your location. You can then fill these containers at your leisure, depending on your schedule. PODS does not load these containers for you, but they can connect you with professional hourly labor in your local area to help you. Once your PODS moving container is filled, it can be moved directly to your new location. You also have the option of sending your container to storage.
Moving containers are helpful in both local and long-distance moves. PODS also offers their specialized City Service to help with challenges of moving in congested cities. With this service, the driver takes care of parking and stays with your container as you load and unload it, helping you avoid tickets and deter thieves.
Sometimes there is a gap between when you need to move out of one location and into another. Enter PODS storage.
PODS offers over 230 secure storage facilities throughout the country. Once you have your moving container filled, the team will pick it up and keep it at a PODS Storage Center. When you store with PODS, you can access your unit easily with an appointment. Once your new location is ready for you to move in, let PODS know and your moving container will be dropped off at your new address.
This storage solution is far easier than getting a traditional storage unit. With traditional storage units, you have to load a moving truck and then unload it into your storage unit. Once you’re done with your unit, you again have to load your belongings back into a moving truck and unload them at your new location. With PODS, you only have to load and unload once.
What Happens If the PODS Unit Gets Damaged?
It’s never intended, but sometimes during a move, damage occurs. You could open your moving container to find the contents broken or damaged by water or moisture. Likewise, there is always the risk that the container itself could get damaged during the move. Therefore, every PODS rental must have insurance coverage for the container contents. Many times your homeowner’s insurance policy will cover this.
If your homeowner’s insurance does not offer such protection, PODS offers two solutions:
- Contents Protection. This provides coverage for both the container and its contents. This will protect you against accidents, burglary while the container is in PODS’ care, and vandalism. It doesn’t cover any prohibited items outlined in the rental agreement or damage caused by improper packing or normal shifting. This coverage can be purchased when you place the order for the PODS moving container.
- Container Only Protection. If your contents are covered by your homeowners insurance but NOT the container, PODS offers container-only coverage. This coverage will protect you from any damage caused to the moving container during your use, given it is not willful or intentional damage. Again, this option can be purchased when you make the initial order for your PODS moving container.
What Size PODS Container Do I Need?
You can order PODS moving containers in three different sizes. The size of the PODS container you need depends on numerous factors such as how much stuff you have and the space you have to store the container while you pack it.
- 7-Foot Containers: Ideal for studio apartments (<500 sq ft) and comparable to a 5-by-10 storage unit or a 10-foot truck.
- 12-Foot Containers: Ideal for packing two to three rooms (500-800 sq ft) and is comparable to a 10-by-10 storage unit or a 15-foot truck.
- 16-Foot Containers: Ideal for packing three to four rooms (up to 1200 sq ft) and is comparable to the size of a standard parking spot, a 10-by-15 storage unit, or a 20-foot truck.
What Do I Need To Do Before I Order a PODS Container?
Before you order your PODS container, there are essential steps you need to take to make sure your move goes as smoothly as possible.
Placing your Container
Before you order your PODS container, you need to make sure you have space to store it. Many times PODS can be placed in your driveway or a parking lot. The most important thing is to make sure the spot where your PODS container will be placed meets the following requirements:
- Without Obstructions
Ideally, your container will be placed on a paved surface. If you are considering placing the unit on an unpaved surface, you’ll want to talk directly with PODS to ensure the container can be placed where you want it.
Check Available Space
It’s equally important that you check that you have the needed space for both the delivery and pick up of your container. The space you will need is the same no matter which size container you order. This is because of the system used to deliver and pick up the container. Make sure you have a space that is:
- 12 feet wide (roughly the size of a parking space)
- 15 feet high (all overhead wires, roof overhangs, tree branches, etc. need to be higher than 15 feet)
- 40-feet long (a bit longer than two parking spaces – and this can include the street given there aren’t any obstructions)
PODS containers can fit in a single parking space. However, to deliver and pick-up the container, the two spots on either side need to be empty. Another option is to place the container in two parking spaces. Just make sure you reserve enough spaces for the delivery and pick-up of your unit.
Get Necessary Permissions
If your PODS container is going to be placed on the street, you may need to obtain permits from your city or town. The requirements will vary by city. PODS requires copies of all permits before delivery. Likewise, if you live in an HOA, there may be regulations regarding storing the PODS container on your property. For customers who live in condos and apartment buildings, you’ll want to contact your building’s management regarding their portable storage container policy.
Gypsy Moth Inspection
Gypsy moths are an invasive species that can wreak havoc in the environment. Several states require a gypsy moth inspection for those that are moving in from out of state to protect the environment. The USDA has a list of areas that require this inspection. If your move requires a gypsy moth inspection, you must complete and submit the inspection form to PODS no later than 3 days before your container is scheduled to arrive. You can complete this inspection yourself or hire a qualified professional to do the inspection.
How Much Do PODS Containers Cost?
The final cost of your PODS container depends on many different factors, such as:
- Origin ZIP code
- Destination ZIP code
- Residential or business
- Container size
- Storage needs
For a general ballpark, containers for local moves often cost around $350-550 per container. Meanwhile, containers for long-distance moves tend to cost between $1,000-$3000. Pricing for storage is different, with prices starting around $150 per month, plus a pick-up fee around $75.The cost of any protection coverage will be additional. However, there are no fees for weight and no deposit. You can also save 5% by using our PODS promo code.
PODS moving containers are one of the easiest and least stressful ways of moving. If you think that PODS moving containers are for you, get a quick, free quote today by clicking the button below or by calling them at (855) 706-4758 to discuss your needs in detail.