Choosing a self storage unit can be a daunting task and needs to be looked into minutely as your household goods and precious items need a proper storage space. There are many reasons why people need a self storage facility but moving, relocation, death in the family and inheritance can lead to a requirement of a safe, secure unit where you can just stack the extra items while you also have the freedom to access it anytime you want to.
There are a variety of self storage units available and most people tend to over estimate and get bigger units that they actually need. There are a few points that should be kept in mind, before signing the lease of a storage unit such as:
– Do you actually require a climate controlled unit for the things that you are planning to store?
– What is the actual size of a storage unit that you need?
– Is the place secure?
– Have you looked up the conditions and agreement before you lease?
You need to be sure of the size the size of the self storage facility that should be rented. As there are a variety of self storage units in different sizes available to suit each personal and commercial requirement, knowing about each one is essential for you to plan in advance. We recommend that you go room to room or in any case write up an inventory of the items you want to store. For large items you want to put into a self storage unit, measure the height and width for accuracy. If you are storing a large amount of items such as furniture, drawing up a floor plan with measurements will help you todecide on exactly the right size of self storage unit for your needs.
The following is a guide to the sizes of self storage units and how much each type of unit can usually store:
1. The smallest is the 5×5 unit which is about the size of small bathroom and can hold about 30 file size boxes on shelves. It can also accommodate a few chairs and miscellaneous items.
2. The next is the 5×10 which is about the size of a large closet. The size is perfect to contain 1 room’s furniture or 84 file boxes without shelves.
3. The 5×15 self storage units is about the size of a walk in closet and is able to hold about three rooms of furniture but if you intend using only boxes then it will have about 130 file size storage boxes without shelves.
4. The 10×10 storage units are the size of a middle sized bedroom and are able to hold furniture of nearly 4 rooms along with miscellaneous items. You can either store 108 files on shelves or 168 boxes without shelves.
5. The 10×15 is a small garage sized storage unit has the capacity to hold 5 room’s of furniture or 295 file size boxes without shelves.
6. One of the bigger units is the 10×20 which is about the size of a car garage. It can hold the furniture of a 2 bedroom house without the small appliances or other items. You can also store about 379 file boxes without shelves.
7. The 10 x25 storage unit is perfect for storing the goods of a 2-3 bedroom home or 504 file size boxes without aisles.
8. The 10 x 30 units is a huge space about the size of a 1.5 garage which can easily accommodate the contents of a 3 bedroom home along with all the miscellaneous items.
If after reading the above guide, you are still unsure of what your self storage unit size should be – take your inventory with you and ask for the assistance of the personnel at your chosen storage company.