Have you ever visited a home that hasn’t been redecorated in a decade or more and realised how outdated the décor appears? When you step into the house, you feel like you are in a time warp and you have been transported back to the 90s, 80s or 70s. While that furniture and décor would have been stylish and trendy when it was first installed, it was a fad that faded very quickly.
If you want your home to look beautiful and stylish for many years, it is important to choose furniture that is not too trendy – but follows a timeless style. Timeless furniture doesn’t adhere to the fad of the moment, it is designed so that it will be considered beautiful and elegant 5, 10, or even 20 years from now. You don’t want to have to redecorate your home every 5 or 10 years, so you want to look for furniture pieces that will stand the test of time.
However, when you are shopping for furniture on a website like Furniturestoresnow.co.uk, it can be difficult to determine the difference between what is timeless and what is trendy – especially because no one can predict what the future trends will be! So how can you make sure that the furniture in your home is timeless? Here are some tips:
Tips for Finding Timeless Furniture
- Think minimalism. No matter what decade it is, less will always be more. When you have furniture with a simple and minimalistic design, it will never look out of place. You can change certain elements of the décor, such as paintings or wall hangings, and keep the furniture the same. This means that you can spice up your décor in a very easy and affordable way.
- Keep the furniture colours neutral and then swap the accents. For example, bright orange is currently the trend in home décor. However, instead of buying a bright orange sofa you should buy a neutral beige coloured one, and then add orange pillows or a throw. You can always buy another pillow in a different colour when the trend changes.
- Choose something that is comfortable, so that you will want to enjoy it for many years. What good is a sofa that you cannot relax into?
- Take a look back through design magazines from the past. You will be able to tell which styles look really dated and which ones seem like they are still modern. You are looking for the type of furniture that could be taken from one decade to another, seamlessly fitting into the décor without anyone batting an eye.
- Invest a little more into a higher quality piece of furniture. Yes, it’s more expensive. However, it will also have a nicer design and will last years longer, so the investment will be worth it in the end.
- Ask the opinion of someone in an older generation, such as your parents or grandparents. Chances are if the furniture is too trendy, they will be able to tell. They will have seen many years of trends come and go, so they will be able to spot which furniture is timeless.
- Look for furniture with clean lines, rather than ornate details or bold patterns. These patterns and details might go out of fashion, while simple clean lines have always been stylish.
- When you are looking at the furniture, ask yourself – “Will I still love this in 10 years?” If you are not sure about the answer, then the furniture is probably not as timeless as you would like to think.
- Another strategy is to shop for antique or vintage furniture. Sometimes you will find a piece that has really stood the test of time and still looks great with your décor, even though it was originally designed many years ago.
These are just a few tips to keep in mind when you are shopping for furniture, so that you can choose something timeless that will not go out of style. Remember, you will be holding onto this piece for a long time, so you should not rush and buy the first thing you see – take your time and choose the right furniture.
Most of all, the important thing is to choose the items of furniture that you love. When you really like something, you will want to keep it in your home for many years. It will be a timeless part of your home décor that will always be in style.